Glasgow Travel Information

Banking » The majority of banks are open Mon-Fri 0900-1700 with some city centre offices open Saturday morning. Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are widely available throughout the area and most are linked to Visa, Cirrus, Maestro or Plus international money systems. There are four main banks, Bank of Scotland Halifax plc (HBOS), Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), Clydesdale Bank plc (CB), Lloyds TSB (LTSB)

HBOS Tel: +44 (0)8457 213141  |  RBS Tel: +44 (0)845 724 2424  |  CB Tel: +44 (0)8456 011 801  |  LTSB Tel: +44 (0)845 300 0000

Bureau de Change » Facilities can be found at the airports, train stations, most city centre banks, Tourist Information Centres and travel outlets. Glasgow, Abington and Hamilton Tourist Information Centres operate Bureau de Change and Western Union Money Transfer Services.  American Express have one branch office in Hope Street, opposite Central Station (Gordon Street)

Credit Cards » Most hotels, restaurants and shops in Scotland accept major credit cards such as VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Diners Club and JCB.

Currency » British currency is pound sterling (£) and is made up of 100 pence (p). Several Scottish banks issue their own notes in denominations of £5, £10, £20, £50 & £100 which are legal tender in England and Northern Ireland. Bank of England and Northern Ireland banknotes are legal tender in Scotland. Coins come in denominations of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 & £2.  Click here for more info.

Customs and Duty Free » For information regarding customs and duty free allowances, please visit HM Customs and Excise.

Driving » The UK drives on the left hand side of the road. You must have a current driving licence. A foreign licence is valid for up to 12 months. It is compulsory to wear seat belts. If travelling with your own car you must be properly insured. For maps, travel insurance or road service, contact the Automobile Association or the RAC (Royal Automobile Club)and for up to date traffic and roadworks information see the NADICS - National Driver Information web site.

Electricity » The standard voltage in Scotland is 240V AC, 50Hz. North American appliances need a transformer and an adapter; Australasian appliances need only an adaptor. Plugs have 3 square pins and adapters are widely available.

Embassies and Consulates » Foreign embassies can assist travellers with lost or stolen passports and provide assistance in emergencies. Information is available here for European Union Embassies in the UK click here

Emergency Services » For Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance and in some areas, Mountain Rescue or Coastguard, dial 999.

Healthcare  » EU citizens are entitled to free or reduced cost medical treatment at National Health Service hospitals. With the exception of accident and emergency treatment, all non-EU members will be charged for medical treatment and must have adequate health insurance when travelling. For more information click here.

Information for the Disabled » For details of access and facilities available please contact any Tourist Information Centre or visit

Postal Services » Most post offices are open Mon-Fri: 0900-1730 and Sat: 0900-1230 with stamps available from most stationery shops and Tourist Information Centres. Comprehensive details on postal services are available from the Royal Mail. Glasgow's principal post office, at St.Vincent Place, is open Mon-Fri: 0830 - 1745 and on Sat: 0900 - 1730.

Public Holidays »  Standard holidays in the Glasgow are as follows
Easter  |  May Day  |  Late Spring  |  Glasgow Fair  |  Autumn  |  Christmas & Box Day 25/26 Dec  |  New Year 1+2 Jan
Check Glasgow City Council website for exact dates, plus school and other local holidays.  click here
Where public holiday dates fall on Saturday or Sundays generally most pulbic places of work and certain shops will take the immediate Monday and/or Tuesday as a holiday.  Generally most large shops and malls will however only close for one day at Xmas and/or New Year.

Quarantine regulations » Please visit here for comprehensive information on British quarantine regulations.

Smoking » On Sunday March 26, 2006 Scotland introduced a new law which bans smoking in all public places. The law includes all enclosed or partly enclosed public areas. For more information please visit clearing the air Scotland.

Telephone » Most public telephones accept coins (10p, 20p, 50p, £1), with a minimum connection charge 20p. An increasing number of kiosks also accept credit cards and offer e-mail and internet access.

Television » There are 5 main terrestrial television stations in central Scotland. BBC1, BBC2, Scottish Television, Channel Four and Channel 5 offer a wide range of programming to suit all tastes. Satellite, Cable and Sky are also available in selected hotels.

Time Zones » Time in Scotland is consistent with Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) except from late March to late October when Daylight Saving Time is in effect (clocks are put forward one hour). US Eastern Standard Time is 5 hours behind GMT and Australian Eastern Standard Time is 10 hours ahead of GMT. Most public transport timetables use the 24 hour clock.

Tipping » There are no hard and fast rules for tipping in Scotland. If you are happy with the service, a 10-15% tip is customary, particularly in a restaurant or cafe with table service. Tipping in bars is not expected. For taxi fares it is usual to round up to the nearest pound (£).

Travel Insurance » It is strongly recommended that visitors to the UK arrange travel insurance to cover the loss of possessions and money as well as health and dental treatment. No vaccinations are required prior to visiting Scotland.

Value Added Tax » All purchases in Britain, with the exception of food and books, are subject to VAT, which increases the cost of an item by 20%. Visitors from non-EU countries can claim a refund of VAT from selected shops on goods to be taken out of the country under the Retail Export Scheme. For information on the scheme, please visit HM Customs and Excise.

Visas » EU members may travel and work in the UK with no visa requirement. Citizens from the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand do not require a visa to visit the UK but are prohibited from work. Citizens from other countries require a visa which can be obtained from their nearest British Consular office. For additional information on UK immigration and visa requirements visit the UK Border Agency web site.

Weights and Measures » The United Kingdom now uses the metric system for weights and measures, however non-metric equivalents are still widely used. For example many distances are still shown in miles. Food, drink and petrol are sold in metric measures. For more info click here.

  For further reading see Glasgow info page on wikipedia click here